• The World According to Clarke

    Friday, August 25, 2006

    The Vanishing Planet


    Back in school, I learned the order of the planets through the acronym "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas." That acronym no longer works, because I just was enlightened by a 5th grader at the bus stop that Pluto is no longer considered a planet. After hearing this, I had to go home and check it out and it turns out to be true! The International Astronomical Union has stripped Pluto of its status as a planet. Click here for details.

    The acronym for the 21st century..."My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nothing!"

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Dianne said...

    The mnemonic device still works...
    "Pizzas" can now stand for "PlanetDianne" (until I'm also down-graded to dwarf planet status)

    9:44 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home