• The World According to Clarke

    Sunday, December 04, 2005

    Marvin Lewis for President!

    The new president was George Bush...senior. The top TV shows were Cheers and The Cosby Show. The top movies in the theaters were Home Alone and Ghost. Whitney Houston topped the pop charts with "I'm Your Baby Tonight". I was living off Big Lotts ramen noodles as a struggling sophomore at Miami University. And the Cincinnati Bengals had a winning record for the last time...

    UNTIL NOW! With their 38-31 defeat of the Pittsburgh Steelers today, the Bengals won their 9th game of the season and will have a winning record for the first time since 1990!

    It isn't easy being a Cincinnati sports fan. I vaguely remember the days of the Bench, Rose, Morgan, Foster, Perez, and the Big Red Machine--I was 6 years old at the time, so most of the games were on past my bed time. I more remember the days of Nick Esasky, Paul Householder, Dan Bilardello, and Frank Pastore. "Who?" you ask...exactly my point. Other than the wire-to-wire 1990 season, there hasn't been much to cheer about. The owner's dog got more press coverage than the team itself.

    And being a Bengals fan has been even tougher. Other than a few good years in the late 80s, the orange and black have truly been the laughing stock of the NFL for over a decade. David Klingler, Ki-Jana Carter, Akili Smith...it seemed we were cursed. And then along came Marvin Lewis...and credibility...and now, dare I dream of playoffs? I think I do!

    And the great thing is, this Bengals team is only going to get better. Carson, Chad, TJ, Rudi, Chris Perry, Chris Henry...all of them are still just getting started. It's fun being a Cincinnati sports fan again...at least during football season!

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home