• The World According to Clarke

    Wednesday, November 01, 2006

    Starbucks

    After an off-site meeting at work today, Steve wanted to stop at Starbucks to pick up some sort of green tea/soymilk concoction that he likes since he's allergic to all normal food and drinks. There was a lady in front of us who placed her order without taking a breath. I don't remember the exact words, but I did count that it was 16 syllables. It was something like a "grande latte mocha no foam low caff supremo gold coast blend". I thought she was making a joke, but the lady behind the cash register -- to my amazement -- nodded her head and repeated the order word for word to the coffee-maker guy in the back, who again repeated the order. It was an impressive display of memory and diction. Our turn came, and I felt a bit inadequate ordering a "hot chocolate" (which has a measly four syllables, and that's only if you really enunciate the "choc-O-late") so I just walked away.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home