• The World According to Clarke

    Sunday, October 15, 2006

    Mareeu

    Annette and Ben went camping with the Cub Scouts this weekend (brrr) and Chris spent the night at his friend Ben's house, so Maria and I got some quality daddy/daughter time in on Saturday. She has been learning to read in kindergarten and is really enjoying it. Before bed, she read me a book about colors. Then, I tucked her in, said goodnight, and turned out the light. As I was headed out of her room she said "Hey Daddy" and we had the following conversation...

    "Hey Daddy, why doesn't my name end with a U?"

    "Hmm?"

    "Why doesn't my name end with a U? It says 'uh', like 'bus'?

    "Well...(pause)...some letters make a different sound depending on how they're used."

    "Oh...that's dumb."

    And honestly, I couldn't disagree with her. The spelling rules in the English language really don't make sense. I before E except after C. Why only after C? And what about "weird"? I don't speak any other languages, but I wonder if their rules make more sense. If a 5-year-old can figure out it's dumb, why couldn't the developers of the language?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home