• The World According to Clarke

    Wednesday, September 14, 2005

    Top 5 Movies

    By special request: After seeing my list of my bottom 5 movies, someone asked what my top 5 were. So here we go...

    5. The Usual Suspects: Several of my bottom 5 movies were all character development, but no plot. This one has great characters (I especially like Kevin Pollack and Benicio Del Toro's characters), but also also has a great story with a nice twist at the end.

    4. The Shawshank Redemption: Great story! I laughed, I cried, it moved me. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman's best roles ever.

    3. Dead Poet's Society: This movie was the main reason for my original career choice. Maybe if a few of my students had stood on their chairs and called me "Captain", I'd still be teaching.

    2. The Sixth Sense: I know of only one person who claims to have figured out the twist in this movie before it actually happened, and they're a liar.

    1. Field of Dreams: James Earl Jones' speech about baseball is one of my favorite movie moments of all time.

    Honorable mentions: Pulp Fiction, Twelve Monkeys, Dead Again, Gattaca, Forrest Gump

    Special citation goes to Armageddon, which is my "go to" movie on any rainy Saturday when I want to be entertained and don't want to think too hard. And since Bruce Willis made four of the movies on my list, he is my winner for favorite actor.

    3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We have many similar movies on our lists. My Top 5 would be:

    5. The Shawshank Redemption

    4. Armageddon

    3. Field of Dreams

    2. Count of Monte Cristo (Richard Chamberlin version)

    1. Outlaw Jose Wales

    Honorable mentions: Ferris Bueller's Day off, Major League, Indiana Jones Series, Die Hard Series and of course All the Harry Potter Movies, I struggled with not putting them on the list as number one, but I think that is more because of my love for the books.

    11:20 PM  
    Blogger Earl said...

    Does Dennis stand on his chair and say Captain, my Captain?

    12:04 PM  
    Blogger Patrick said...

    Since his chair is on wheels and spins, that's probably not a good idea :). I may have him start calling me "Captain," though.

    10:20 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home