• The World According to Clarke

    Wednesday, August 24, 2005

    Huggy bear

    The big news here in Cincinnati is the firing of UC basketball coach Bob Huggins. Personally, I have never been a Bob Huggins fan. I find him too negative, immature, and generally someone I don't think I'd get along with.

    I remember turning on the radio one day to WLW and Huggins was doing a post-game interview, talking about how badly his team played. They stunk on offense, they stunk on defense, etc. After the interview, the announcer came on and said "...and that's it from here at the Shu, where UC has beaten..." some team by about 35 points. Talk about Mr. Negative.

    That being said, I think the firing of Huggins is a shame and a black mark against the school. They waited until after recruiting and selling lots of tickets, after making it seem like Huggins would be finishing out his contract. They are moving to the Big East, and their shady ways will make it very hard for them to get a good coach to come here. And I do believe, despite his negativism, that Huggins was a great coach and a great mentor to the type of kids he typically recruited.

    On the bright side, with Huggins and Motta gone, maybe Miami University basketball will become the premiere program here in the Cincy area!

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home