• The World According to Clarke

    Monday, August 29, 2005

    Broken Flowers

    Steve and I were discussing our weekends this morning and both mentioned we had seen movies. I saw The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (in 3-d) with the kids. It pretty much lived up to my very low expectations, but the kids enjoyed it. Steve saw Broken Flowers, the new movie starring Bill Murray. After hearing his description, I'm actually sort of glad I saw Shark Boy. An online review for BF reads "...a wonderful collaboration between two unique talents, Broken Flowers perhaps isn’t for casual mainstream tastes, but it speaks eloquently to what’s broken in all of us." In other words...BORING! It sounded scarily similar to Lost in Translation, which tops my list of the BOTTOM 5 MOVIES OF ALL TIME...

    1. Lost in Translation: The one good thing I can say about this movie is that it was only 102 minutes long, so less than 2 hours of my life was stolen from me. At no point did this movie make me laugh, or cry, or feel anything whatsoever.

    2. The Royal Tenenbaums: Look at the cast of this one and you would think it can't miss. You'd be wrong. An interesting group of characters, but the complete lack of plot destroys any chance at entertainment.

    3. Four Weddings and a Funeral: I'm probably judging this one unfairly because, in my opinion, Hugh Grant is the most obnoxious man on the planet. Of the four or five Hugh Grant movies I've endured, this is the worst.

    4. The Great Outdoors: I don't really remember anything specific about this movie. I just know that I am the cheapest (most frugal, that is) person that I know and this is the only movie during which I walked out of the movie theater before it was over because it was so bad.

    5. I can think of plenty of movies I didn't enjoy, but I can't think of any that were on the same level as these "classics". However, having a "bottom 4" seems odd so I will make my number 5 Broken Flowers, even though I haven't seen it (and probably never will).

    As a side note, a professional wrestler from Cincinnati called "Shark Boy" has filed a lawsuit against the creators of The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. I'll keep you posted. :)

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Dianne said...

    I have to disagree with your review of "Lost in Translation." I really enjoyed that movie... I thought the writing and acting were first rate. I'm not a "chick-flick" kind of person... but I was really moved by this one. Oh, and "Runaway Bride" was way, way worse than anything else on your list.

    10:12 PM  
    Blogger Patrick said...

    While I don't agree on "Lost", you're right on with "Runaway Bride". That's an aweful movie!

    10:08 PM  
    Blogger Dianne said...

    Wait a minute... "Runaway Bride" is bad, but what I REALLY wanted to post as my all time most hated movie is "Notting Hill." YUCK!

    9:05 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home